Thursday, October 23, 2008

One Love


What a difference a year makes.  Last year at this time, this was where I found myself.  At a beach bar with the welcoming name of One Love, plopped on the white sandy beaches on the island of Jost Van Dyke in the British Virgin Islands.  It's a ramshackle joint made of flotsam and good vibes and it looks surprisingly like my home office, what with all the carefree attention to detail.  I don't have a blender in my office, but now that I think about it....

Anyway, as the temps start to dip up here in the great white north, increasingly I find myself hitting the slideshow button on my newly acquired Mac and smiling at the images that float by. I've said it before, but I'll say it again.  The Caribbean is in my soul.  It gives me life.  Just knowing the islands are down there waiting patiently for my next arrival allows me to get up to face another frosty morning.  In my heart I know that someday those frosty mornings will be replaced  by bright blue skies and warm smiles from Raquel and Seddy and their beautiful children.  It's their spirit, a spirit of the Caribbean, that I carry with me and that spirit is a fire warm enough to keep me going.

Okay then, tell me your "One Love".....

5 comments:

Joe Moore said...

Mark,
It seems that we all want what we can't have. I live in South Florida where, in the dead of winter, it plunges down into the mid-70s and I have to go looking for my one sweater. Some years, I forget where I put it. And yet, I would move to the mountains in a heartbeat.

What the heck is wrong with us? :-)
Joe

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

My "One Love" is anywhere I can write full-time. So I guess for me it's not a place as much as a situation. I'll work on the place when I have the circumstances in place. Though I've been thinking about retiring to Mass. near my family. Like Joe, going from warm to cold.

G.M. Malliet said...

New England. Maybe Sue Ann and I will end up within miles of each other.

Different topic: You-all have GOT to see this blog about terrible book covers/terrible books:
http://www.judgeabook.blogspot.com/

G.M. Malliet said...

Me again. This is a related must-see site re. awful books/unintentionally hilarious jacket copy:

http://salmongutter.blogspot.com/

Mark: 2nd one-love place would of course be England.

Anonymous said...

A small farm in Iowa.