Friday, November 14, 2008

What's With All The Vampires?



All the tweens trick-or-treating in my neighborhood were dressed as Bella and Edward from “Twilight.” The frenzy over the movie release has grown to nearly epic proportions in my local Barnes and Noble and is reminding me of the hullabaloo surrounding the release of a new Harry Potter novel/film.

The difference for me is that I loved the Harry Potter books. I thought they were very well written and absolutely unique. Still, even though I didn’t enjoy “Twilight,” I lift my coffee cup to Stephenie Meyer for coming up with a YA version of hot vamp fiction and for cashing in on it. I prefer to see authors rising to the top over, say, professional athletes out of jail on parole!

Even after Halloween, I’ve been noticing just how “hot” vampire themes are right now. There’s a ton of buzz about the HBO series True Blodd, which is based on Charlaine Harris’ Sookie Stackhouse mysteries. I have recently discovered these books and am tearing through them. Again, I’m thrilled for Charlaine and I think she’s a talented writer. After all, I don’t usually read paranormal fiction, but I adore her characters. They’re like small-town cozy characters with fangs….and paws, and fur, wings, etc.)

So who started this vampire craze? I guess it was Anne Rice. I’ve read all of her books with the exception of one or two that have been in the TBR stack for years, but I think her Interview With the Vampire propelled the undead into the bestseller spotlight. And then the movie - Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Kirsten Dunst!

What do you think? Are you a fan of the vamps? Of the shows/movies they’ve inspired?

If not, which genre would you like to see make a comeback?

4 comments:

G.M. Malliet said...

I love ghost stories (I've just written one) but apart from Stephen King's vampires, in which I devoutly believe, I don't really get the vampire thing.

Joe Moore said...

I'm with Gin. I've never been attracted to the vampire theme. But I'm pleased to see any books succeed that can draw in young readers.

As far as what I'd like to see rocket to the top, it would have to be supernatural thrillers like the ones those guys Lynn Sholes & Joe Moore write. :-)

jbstanley said...

A good ghost story is hard to find! I've read a few modern ghost mysteries, but none have given me the willies the way older tales have. Maybe this is a series waiting to be penned by a talented MI writer. (Besides Lynn and Joe's awesome works, of course!)

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

JB, Midnight is releasing a ghost mystery by me next fall. But if you're looking to have the "willies" scared out of you, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. My ghosts are of the more benign nature.

I'm not into vampires either, but recently got hooked watching True Blood, which I blogged about myself last week. I'm not even sure I like the series since it's WAY OVER THE TOP, but I can't seem to help myself. I do love its campiness though.