Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Expecting the Worst

By Deborah Sharp

I'm dwelling in Book Cover Nirvana.

Just received the finished illustration from Midnight Ink's art department for my second book, Mama Rides Shotgun. I was worried (what else is new?). I didn't think they could possibly hit a second home run. The first cover -- dead man's hand dangling from Mama's vintage turquoise convertible -- is SO terrific.

I expected to be disappointed. How, I wondered in my pessimist way, would they ever top the fantastic cover for Mama Does Time? I ALWAYS expect the worst. I'm not just a glass-half-empty type. To me, the glass is fully empty, I up-end it to get the last drop, it shatters, and delivers a cut to my lip that will become infected and send me to the hospital, where I'll contract a case of flesh-eating bacteria which will ultimately kill me.

So, yeah, I worried.

Well, the art department proved my pessimism wrong, coming pretty darn close to the first book. Designer Lisa Novak and illustrator Mark Gerber, once again, did a great job. A sherbet-colored scarf and turquoise saddle (How Mama!) Another dangling hand. A scene rife with Florida icons, from alligators and oranges to the state tree, my beloved Sabal palm. (No, folks: Coconut palms DON'T grow in my series' rodeo-and-ranches slice of middle Florida.)

So send up a cheer and pop the champagne. Just be careful not to put out my eye with the cork. The cover may be a success, but there is still so much that could go wrong . . .

6 comments:

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

WOW, that is a fabulous and eye-catching cover. Just begs you to pick it up. Congrats!

G.M. Malliet said...

What fantastic colors!

Jessica Lourey said...

Lisa is an amazing cover designer! MI (and we) are lucky to have such talented artists on the team.

Mark Combes said...

It's very pink and turquoise. I'm afraid I'll have to have my wife buy it - too insecure with my manhood, sorry....

But in the interest of full disclosure, I liked the movie Mama Mia but I told my wife I wouldn't pick that up as a gift either.....

Deborah Sharp said...

thanks for the input, gals ... and Mark, the manly hand on the saddle didn't do it for you, huh? still too much pastel?

Mark Combes said...

I'm not sure if that is baked beans or chili pouring out of the cup, but I like both. Maybe I need to reconsider...