Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Weihnachtsmarkt

by Julia Buckley
I didn't have much time to do my post today, but I thought I'd share a picture of the Christkindle Market, also known as Christmas Market or Weihnachtsmarkt, in my mother's home town. My aunt and uncle sent me the photo this week, and it captures the charm and beauty of the place where my mother grew up.

This town, Paderborn, was hit hard during World War II, and some of its beautiful monuments were destroyed; but today it still possesses the beauty and elegance that my mother loved as a child.

There is probably a Weihnachtsmarkt near you; here in Chicago there is a lovely one right in the middle of Daley Plaza. When you visit one you get an authentic feel for a German Christmas, which I was lucky enough to experience every year, thanks to my mother's fastidious observation of her traditions.

4 comments:

Lisa Bork said...

Great picture, Julia. Thanks for sharing. I would love to see something like it in person.

G.M. Malliet said...

I local battle was just fought and won over having Christmas decorations in front of the courthouse. For which I am glad. There aren't enough images of beauty and peace in the world - if anything, we need more decorations representing all kinds of beliefs.

Thanks for sharing your image of beauty and peace, Julia.

G.M. Malliet said...

p.s. I meant to say "A" local battle...!

Julia Buckley said...

It does capture a lovely spirit, doesn't it? But I also just enjoy the lights and the bustling images of the season.