Monday, August 3, 2015

Mystery Writer at Romance Conference

--by Linda O. Johnston


Okay, actually I'm both--a romance writer as well as a mystery writer.  Currently, I am writing for two Harlequin series: paranormal romance for Harlequin Nocturne, as well as Harlequin Romantic Suspense.  I'm also writing two series for Midnight Ink:  the Superstition Mysteries and the Barkery & Biscuits Mysteries.

Near the end of July, I attended the Romance Writers of America National Conference in New York City.  There, I roomed with a couple of writers who also wrote mysteries as well as some romance.  We were additionally on a panel together, along with two others with similar backgrounds.

We each discussed our careers before becoming writers and how those careers have factored into our writing.  Since I started in advertising and public relations and segued into being a lawyer, both have been helpful to me in both writing what I do and also the business aspects of my writing career. 

And that career so far?  My first published fiction was a mystery short story in Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine which won the Robert L. Fish Memorial Award for best first mystery short story of the year.  My next published fiction consisted of time travel romance novels, and then Harlequin Intrigues, which are romantic suspense.  I've since published cozy mysteries, more paranormal romance and more romantic suspense, so yes, I'm both a mystery writer and a romance writer, and most of my stories contain both elements but in different amounts.

At the RWA Conference, I was delighted to sign and sell my latest MI mystery, BITE THE BISCUIT, at the Literacy Signing, where proceeds go to organizations that support literacy. 

Fun event?  Yes.  Next year it's in my backyard--San Diego (I live in LA) so I figure I'll be there, too.  And by then I'll have more romances, and mysteries, to talk about.

No comments: